Experience a modern take on steak and potatoes with a simple Australian Wagyu and potatoes au gratin recipe. Although this dish may seem like an upscale endeavor, it's quite simple to create. Impress at your next dinner party and follow the steps below.
Australian Wagyu Filet Mignon
1 rosemary sprig
1 tablespoon butter
3.5 oz. asparagus
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chives - chopped
1.5 lbs. Russet potatoes
2 oz. grated cheddar cheese 2 oz. gruyere cheese
½ oz. butter
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup half & half
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper 4 oz. ramekin
Filet Mignon Instructions
- Allow the filet mignon to defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Pat the steak dry, and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron pan to medium high heat . It will be best to add a little oil to the pan when heating it up.
- Sear on one side for approximately 2 minutes.
- Flip and add butter and rosemary.
- Baste the steak for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the steak to the oven for approximately 5 minutes. The internal temperature for a medium steak should be 135°F to 140°F.
- Allow the steak to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Toss asparagus with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Lay flat on a baking sheet.
- Roast asparagus for approximately 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease the sides of the ramekin.
- Peel potatoes and slice very thinly.
- Heat pan to medium heat and add butter.
- Add salt, pepper, cream and half & half and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the pan from heat and add cheeses.
- Lay one layer of sliced potatoes on the bottom of the ramekin.
- Add a layer of cheese mixture.
- Repeat this pattern until the ramekin is full. The last layer on the top should be the cheese sauce.
- Cover the ramekin with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Top with chives.