A5 Japanese Wagyu Nigiri
Create an elevated small bite to welcome your guests. A5 Japanese Wagyu is an impressive start to any meal, and Wagyu Nigiri is the perfect way for everyone to experience this upscale beef.
1. 8 oz. Miyazakigyu Short Rib Block (Ribcap Lifter is a great option for larger parties)
2. 1 cup Japanese short grain rice
3. 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
4. 1 teaspoon salt
5. 1 tablespoon sugar
6. 1 kitchen torch lighter
7. Finishing salt to taste
1. Add 1 cup of rice to the rice cooker or pot.
2. Rinse rice with water 2-3 times.
3. Add 1 ⅓ cups of water to the rice.
4. If using a rice cooker, place rice in the rice cooker and begin. (recommended)
5. If using a pot, allow the rice to come to a boil at medium heat.
6. Once the water is boiling, lower heat to low temperature and cover with a lid.
7. Allow rice to simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes.
8. Once all water has dissipated, fluff rice and serve.
9. While rice is cooking, heat a small saucepan to medium-low heat.
10. Combine vinegar, salt, and sugar together until it reaches a simmer.
11. Remove from heat and stir until sugar has dissolved.
12. Once the rice has finished, place in a large bowl.
13. Add vinegar mixture to the rice evenly.
a. Fold the rice to mix in the vinegar and avoid squishing the rice together.
14. Allow the rice to cool to room temperature.
5. Use a kitchen torch lighter to quickly sear the A5 Short Rib on top of rice.
1. Thinly slice the A5 Miyazakigyu Short Rib Block against the grain.
a. Pro tip: A5 will melt at room temperature so it is best to take this directly out of
the refrigerator and slice immediately.
2. Shape the rice.
a. It is best to wet hands prior to shaping rice to avoid rice sticking to various
b. Take 1 generous tablespoon of rice and place the oval on your palm.
c. Press down on the rice with 2 fingers.
d. Rotate and repeat until an oval shape is formed.
3. Place shaped rice on a non-stick baking pan.
4.Place 1 slice of A5 Short Rib onto each ball of rice.
6. Sprinkle finishing salt and serve with wasabi and ginger.